A night under the stars
Of all your adventures in Southern Africa, few will be as reminiscent as spending a night or two under the African stars, with your partner and the sights, sounds and smells of the African bush. A night under the stars is one of the most romantic offerings available at many of the luxury lodges in southern Africa and a must for all couples and more so those on honeymoon.
Sleeping under stars is, simply put, one of the most amazing experiences anyone can have. Imagine arriving just before sunset to a beautifully prepared dinner for two with wine and being left alone for you to enjoy an African sunset, the endless savannah and the infinity of the night sky before you, millions of shooting stars until dawn breaks a new day. Awaken to a beautiful open air African sunrise with all the luxuries of a five-star suite. Myself and Maria Laura experienced this romantic break at Lion Sands not so long ago and both agree that this experience cannot be missed. We have put together a list of the most luxurious lodges that offer a night under the stars.
- Tswalu Kalahari, South Africa – At Tswalu Kalahari’s sleep-out deck, The Malori (meaning ‘dreamer’ in Tswana), there is no compromise on luxury. Expect the finest linens, the bathroom just footsteps away and a cushioned couch to complete the barefoot luxury experience. Guests are then left to begin their Kalahari sleep-out experience, with sundowners, dinner and to lie in bed and count the shooting stars while listening to the call of the wild. Tswalu also provides children’s camping beds, so the whole family can enjoy an exhilarating Kalahari sleep-out under the stars.
- Lion Sands, Sabi Sands Game Reserve – The Lion Sands Treehouses are the ultimate bush bedrooms. Arrive at sunset to a scrumptious picnic dinner, and spend the hours of dusk fully appreciating the vastness of the bushveld as it transforms from day to night. Slumber directly beneath the Milky Way where you may well lose count of the shooting stars. The Treehouses, including Chalkley’s Treehouse and Kingston Treehouse (Sabi Sand), and Tinyeleti Treehouse (Kruger National Park) are booked in conjunction with your accommodation. Pack an overnight bag with your essentials, while leaving your other belongings back in your room at camp. The Treehouses at Lion Sands are ideal as a wedding or anniversary treat or for the adventurer in you where you can disconnect and enjoy the bush in all of its glory.
- Jaci’s Tree Lodge, Madikwe – At Jaci’s Tree Lodge?guests can relax in one of eight luxurious tree houses?built on the edge of the Marico River and watch squirrels play in the treetop?canopy. In custom-built?cabins that float high above the ground on wooden stilts, connected by suspended walkways,?guests can enjoy a magnificent accommodation?experience. Each of the cabins are made from African rosewood, decorated in vibrant reds and greens and complemented by modern African elements.?Each room includes a king-sized bed, a luxurious stone bath and a private?outdoor shower from which you can enjoy the vista – honeymoon heaven.?All rooms are equipped with air conditioning, fans and heaters, to ensure your comfort throughout the year.
- Baines Camp, Okavango Delta, Botswana – A romatic oasis! The five suites at Sanctuary Baines’ are opulent and luxurious, with ensuite facilities and four-poster beds. Should you wish, your bed can be wheeled out onto the private wooden deck for a night under the stars, overlooking the shimmering waters of the Boro River where hippo can often be spotted. Or take an indulgent soak under the stars on your own private viewing deck in our opulent star bath. At Baines’ Camp, the sky’s the limit.
- Kulala Desert Lodge, Sossusvlei, Namibia – Family-friendly Kulala Desert Lodge is located within the arid Namib Desert in a private Wilderness Reserve. The “kulalas” with en-suite bathrooms and verandas each have a deck on the flat rooftop for sleep-outs under the stars. The main areas overlook a riverbed – a perfect location to view and photograph the desert vista and to contemplate the day’s exciting activities. Due to its arid location and no rain the night sky’s are undisturbed from light and allow for the best stargazing. The lodge is also at the closest point of access to the iconic dunes of the Sossusvlei.
For more information on any of these lodges or the ‘sleep out’ experience contact [email protected]